Table of Contents
- What Are Business Applications?
- Business Apps Pros
- How to Choose the Development Type for Your Business App?
- Business App Dev Plan
Mobile and web applications became an essential part of everyday life for regular tech users. More and more businesses are adopting this tech trend to get great results. Custom business applications can solve a lot of specific issues that ready-made solutions can’t. But off-the-shelf apps can also be a great option for companies with fairly simple business processes.Let’s dive deeper into business application development. Plus we will try to answer whether such an app is your perfect match or not.
What Are Business Applications?
A business application is a software or a set of programs that performs business functions. They are also utilised to boost and track productivity. Business applications can be used:
- only for employees,
- only for customers,
- in conjunction with other business applications.
They can be built by your own development team, an outsourced one, or acquired as ready-made solutions. The type of software that a company chooses is determined by its specific needs and budget.
Business software can be divided into multiple groups by different factors.
- B2B. These apps are utilised between business partners (e.g. resellers, suppliers, etc.). They are accessible via dedicated lines, such as the bulk order submission web service.
- B2C. These are used for common purposes. They can be of any type: web/browser-based or mobile (e.g. dynamic content websites, customer loyalty apps, e-Commerce, etc.).
- Internal software. Apps used within the organisation. These are essential for corporate functionality, such as an internal ERP system or an HR system.
- Front-end. These apps allow users to engage with them directly, usually using a graphic user interface.
- Background software These back-end apps work in the background to manage background tasks.
- Services-based apps. These apps act as integration point for other apps or systems.
- Human Resource Information System (HRIS). Because human resources is one of the most important departments in any organisation, deploying such a package can help to automate various clerical jobs. An HRIS, which handles digital documents, can monitor and automate recruitment, employee onboarding, record keeping, training, and payroll.
- Inventory Control System. As one of the standardised corporate solutions, it monitors stock levels, updates, turnover rates, and automates cycle counts. When inventory systems are integrated with replenishment solutions, automatic reorder points and point-of-sale (POS) systems can display the real-time quantities of all items. This software solution reduces the need for personnel to manually count, record, and cross-check stock across several locations, hence saving time and money. Inventory control solutions can also notify users instantly when an error is detected, allowing warehouse management to correct the situation as soon as possible.
- Software for communication. Companies must ensure that communication is simplified across all departments and locations in order to exchange data effectively. Communication software, such as web-based email and Microsoft Office, is often used to improve internal and external data sharing. Organisations, on the other hand, can utilise a cloud-based system integrator for all existing software. This offers a centralised database that enables verified individuals to read reports at any time and collaborate with other departments smoothly.
- Accounting software. It assists financial advisors in monitoring business success by tracking real-time expenses, income, and profits. Accountants can verify that books have important data and that the business remains profitable with up-to-date information.
- Service Management Solutions. Customer relationship management systems improve every connection between company and its customers, including transactions and customer support. An efficient solution not only improves the customer experience to save consumers time, but also adequately resolves their complaints in a timely manner.
- Reservation Software. Appointment-based enterprises, such as medical offices, hairdressers, and restaurants, can merge in-person and online reservations using a cloud-computing reservation system. Companies can avoid understaffing shifts and overbooking clients by combining appointments from all platforms. This improves customer happiness and loyalty.
- System for Scheduling. Modern cloud-based scheduling software enables corporate administrators to access and modify employee schedules from any location and at any time. Some service providers provide a web-based interface and mobile app, as well as an on-site monitor, which allows management and staff to interact and confirm shift swaps and time off. This accessibility means that users may quickly adjust their calendars, avoiding misunderstanding and employee absence. Labour budgets and payroll are also handled by schedule management software in order to track pay cycles and identify high performers.
Business Apps Pros
Business software is used in a variety of activities to improve communication and processes, and free up time for personnel to work on more difficult projects. However, there are other benefits to deploying management software:
- Quality and consistency are boosted by system software, which ensures that all activities are carried out uniformly and result in predictable outcomes. Due to that, companies can focus on more difficult activities by reducing the time it takes to actively monitor processes.
- Time savings. By automating repetitive activities, software allows staff to focus manual effort on more complex tasks, saving time and eliminating human error.
- Metric availability. Software collects real-time data from multiple processes, generates reports, and analyses important performance metrics (KPIs).
- Optimised operational efficiency. Because standard procedures need less time, labour, and effort to accomplish, operational efficiency is considerably improved.
- Reduced turnaround times. A software solution ensures consistent results by automating procedures, optimising operations, and shortening turnaround times for employees and customers. This encourages corporate growth and happiness of internal and external associates.
- Reduced labour costs. Manually completing activities is time-consuming, costly, and can lead to human errors leading in turn to additional costs. As a result, project management software ensures that businesses minimise the resources required to carry out simple activities.
How to Choose the Development Type for Your Business App?
Now you face a major question. What is better: off-the-shelf business software or custom business apps?
The answer is determined by your company specific needs and budget. You must consider a variety of elements and comprehend the advantages of each technique. This is due to a significant difference in functionality, performance, and usability between these two approaches.
Here’s a summary of the differences between custom software development and off-the-shelf commercial solutions.
Custom Business Software
Custom-made applications are adaptable and can be an excellent fit for businesses with special needs. Everything you need to know is as follows:
- Custom design: these apps are created for a certain company business processes. That means, no need to adapt your business per your software. You don’t pay for the features you don’t need. Custom app functionality and features are tailored to match the specific client demands. Of course, they match company goals.
- Unique features: custom business software can be adjusted and upgraded as your company expands. This is a competitive advantage. You can make modifications whenever you want. Don’t wait for new versions with new features. Your app developers can also perform upgrades at any moment.
- Simplified Integration: custom software can be seamlessly incorporated into the existing IT infrastructure. This is critical for data analytics and data-driven company plan development. You can also integrate with other legacy systems or plan more system installations.
- Freedom: with custom software, you are not bound by the overburdened customer support. And we are talking about eady-made system provider customer support!
- Better long-term returns: custom solution development costs can be considerable in the beginning. However it pays off in the long run. Without membership fees, custom software may even prove to be less expensive over time than ready-made software.
- Greater acceptance: the business application development process will involve your company employees. As a result, once the new system is implemented, people willingly accept it.
Off-The-Shelf Business Apps
Custom apps (aka off-the-shelf, bespoke, custom, ready-made software), are programs that you can buy, install, and use right away. In contrast to custom apps, you will not have to wait for your custom business solution to be created, built, tested, and deployed.
- No flexibility: there are numerous complex, scalable, and secure apps with a high functionality level on the market. However, off-the-shelf software caters to a wide range of consumers. As a result, these custom apps may not fit your firm specific objectives. You might need to change some of your company business operations. Else, you may miss out on important features. You may also need to scale back on certain offers to accommodate your platform.
- Regular updates: off-the-shelf apps are updated on a regular basis. Furthermore, if you buy high-quality software from well-known developers, you may receive excellent customer service.
- Hidden costs: while the rates for ready-made software are lower than those for custom app creation, there may be hidden expenses. Employee licences, maintenance costs, and service fees can all have a significant influence on your ROI.
- Non-unique: finally, off-the-shelf options are widely available. As a result, you’ll be purchasing business programs identical to your competitors. So gaining a competitive edge from your investment will be difficult.
Overall, your requirements and budget determine if you should purchase off-the-shelf solutions or develop custom business apps.
Business App Dev Plan
What are you looking for? Do you need a competitive advantage for your business? Do you need to investigate the potential of software designed exclusively for your business? Then you’ll need a solid business app development strategy.
The most prevalent issue with business app is that end users consider software to be too difficult to use. They may also run into issues with integration or reporting.
To avoid such issues, you must create a clear plan before designing the program. This ensures that your business app is simple yet functional.
Here are the essential steps to follow in order to get a core development plan for your future business software.
You might start with surveys or interviews with key decision makers and staff. This will assist you in determining which bespoke app is be best at optimising your business process.
Use the data gathered to better understand your company requirements. Then apply the mapping method to reveal new opportunities. Focus on improving corporate operations and customer interactions.
Define project scope
Brainstorming is a great way to identify potential goals for your future business app. As yourself: are you to improve efficiency, production, or make use of big data?
Use this strategic goal set to explain the technical prerequisites for putting them into action:
- consider the technological stack,
- development environment,
- and processes used to execute each task.
Create a business plan
This is necessary in order to determine the potential ROI (return on investment) in the creation of your business software.
The average cost of developing a custom business app is not a fixed amount of money. It depends on:
- and configuration.
What to consider when calculating the total cost of your development project:
- Software development costs;
- estimated number of users;
- constant upkeep and assistance;
- more training for your workers.
The following data should be included in your business case:
- detailed info on resources and required expenditures;
- project total duration (including the time required to complete each planned task);
- options for finishing the app dev project each phase (ie. by your internal team or by outside developers).
Develop a strategy
Create a cost-effective approach for implementing critical app enhancements. Prioritise tasks and estimate each step of your bespoke business app development project.
Developing a business app can have a great impact on your business. It can increase your revenue, simplify business processes, and increase the speed of task execution. If you choose outsourced development as your way to get an application for your business, it’s highly important to choose a reliable partner. Bamboo Agile has great experience in business application development for companies from many industries. Don’t hesitate to contact us and discuss your future project!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?